Don’t Get ‘Stuck’ With Bad Dental Health This Holiday Season
Ah, the holiday season! Time to eat lots of sugar infused snacks and drink sugary beverages with our friends, coworkers, and family. Unfortunately, these snacks and beverages are bad for teeth and this makes dental care over the holidays something we should all take seriously.
The Destructive Role of Sugar
Sticky plaque is constantly forming on your teeth and gums.
This plaque contains bacteria that feed on sugar and create acids that
last for nearly 30 minutes. Those acids destroy tooth enamel over time,
and as tooth enamel weakens the chances of poor dental health
and cavities increases.
What Can You Do?
Working with the skilled professionals at EK Dental Surgery in Glen Waverley you can ensure your long-term oral and overall health survives the holidays. It only takes a little bit of thought, and it will bring you the best present of the season: healthy, attractive teeth.
EK Dental Surgery’s Hints for the Holidays
- The good thing about hints: Is that hints are not laws or rules. So, if you feel like you’re breaking these hints? Consider bending them instead. Have a little bit of something you really, really want – even if it is not great for you. But then get back to healthy behavior!
- Make sure to brush and floss: Practice consistent dental habits that include brushing twice a day and flossing before bed. Don’t skip. Brush for more than two minutes. Newer electronic toothbrushes often have a built-in timer. With a manual toothbrush you can count in your head, hum, or use music to time your brushing.
- Prepare alternatives to unhealthy snacks and drinks: You know that you’re going to run into holiday snacks and drinks. As much as you can, thwart the problem of eating and drinking rich, sugary items by planning to have alternative snacks and drinks available, or even bringing them when you go out.
- Be careful with hard and sticky foods: Nuts, hard candies, and very sticky foods pose a threat to dentures, bridges and fillings as they can crack and displace them. When eating these kinds of foods, be very careful. Holidays are not a good time for a visit to the emergency dentist!
- Avoid over-sugared, sticky foods: It is a fact that sugary coating remaining on teeth can cause damage. Eating treats that don’t leave sticky residue minimizes damage to teeth. Choose less sticky food if you have options. If you don’t have options, brush your teeth, or at least rinse your mouth out, immediately after eating sticky foods.
- Make an appointment with your dentist: Call your Glen Waverley dentist and make an appointment for January. It’s common sense to get things checked and cleaned right after the last of the seasonal excesses. A minor problem in January could grow into something much bigger. Ensure that your New Year starts with a clean bill of dental health!
Year-Round Smile Enhancements at EK Dental Surgery
If you want to keep your smile healthy and beautiful, make an appointment today! EK Dental Surgery offers a wide range of preventative and cosmetic dental procedures that will help you achieve the smile of your dreams, for the holidays and beyond!
Our Special Offers
At EK Dental Surgery, our goal is to make quality dental care affordable. To discover more, visit our special offers page today!